EM Activated is a mixture of active Effective Microorganisms (EM) that is ready to use.
By diluting these microorganisms, for example, with water, you ensure a balanced microbial environment wherever it is used. Micro-organisms are everywhere. For a pleasant living environment, it is important that the beneficial bacteria are always in the majority.
For an overall introduction on EM check out the page EM, an introduction.
Applying EM Activated
All the dosages given below are guidelines and recommendations. Depending on your case it can be adjusted. To establish the optimal EM effect it is applied according to recommendation over a longer period of time, instead of a one time big dose.
EM Activated can be spread in the garden at any time when the temperature is above 6 degrees Celsius, as the EM microorganisms are active above this temperature. The guideline is to use a minimum of 2 liters of EM Activated per 100m2 per year. You can add it weekly to the watering or alternate the application with foliar spraying. In all cases, dilute it at a minimum ratio of 1:100 (100ml of EM Activated in 10 liters of water). It is best to use it before it rains. Avoid spraying EM Activated solution on leaves when the sun is shining to prevent leaf burning.
Making fermented organic matter/ compost (Bokashi)
To ferment garden waste into Bokashi compost (fermented organic material), the dosage is 2 teaspoons (10ml) per 1 liter of water.
On your compost pile use 2 teaspoons (10ml) per 1 liter of water while handling it.
If you make use of a dry/compost toilet in the way of the Humanure Handbook by Joseph C. Jenkins you can spray EM Activated after you have done your business and before you will cover the business with the used organic matter (sawdust for example). Recommended is to use pure EM-Activated or 1 part EM-Activated and 1 part water in a spraying bottle.
Odor control (e.g. in animal enclosures)
Recommended dosage: 6-7 tablespoons (100ml) per 1 liter of water.
Spraying for disease suppression in plants
Recommended dosage: 1 teaspoon (5ml) per 1 liter of water.
You can use EM Activated in the drinking water of any animal at a recommended ratio of 1 part EM Activated to 100 parts water. You can also mix it with wet food or spray it on dry food, using the same proportions. It is not critical, and overdosing is not a concern.
For the the animals litter box, spraying regularly helps control odours, and you can also use it to clean the litter box.
For minor wounds, you can dab EM Activated to prevent infection.
EM Activated promotes a natural balance in the pond.
- Clear water: 1 liter per 20,000-25,000 liters (20-25m3) of water.
- Polluted water: 1 liter per 10,000 liters (10m3) of water.
- Very polluted water: 1 liter per 5000 liters of water (administer in two doses with a two-week interval). It is recommended to use EM Activated along with EM Bokashi clay balls and Alg-EM.
- In liquid manure: 20 liters per 100m3 of liquid manure.
- On the field/pasture: 40 liters per hectare.
- Via washwater: 1 to 2 liters per m3.
- Stackable Product (e.g. solid manure): 1 to 2 liters per m3.
- Silage agent for corn and biogas: Applicable via field processing and harvesting machines. For good distribution, dilute with water at a ratio of 1:100.
EM Activated does not have a specific expiration date. As per advice, EM Activated is usable for a year after opening, provided it is stored at room temperature. While the activity decreases over time, we have observed that EM Activated remains effective even after several years. The best indicators of its quality are its smell and taste. The smell should be a fresh, sour fermentation odor. If it smells musty or rotten, it is no longer good and can be added to the compost heap.
Water, Effective Micro-organisms*, sugarcane molasses.
- 10,000 Lactic Acid bacteria (per ml)
- 1,000 Photosynthesising bacteria (per ml)
- 1,000 Yeasts (per ml) and other beneficial microorganisms that occur freely in nature.